.. a different approach!
Uterine fibroids are common tumors which are often associated with
• Heavy menstrual bleeding
• Pelvic pain
• Reduced quality of life
For women with symptomatic fibroids who want to avoid a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), two alternative options are myomectomy and uterine artery embolization (UAE).
• Myomectomy: A surgery done to remove fibroid(s) from the uterus, leaving the uterus intact. The surgery is performed by a gynecological surgeon.
• Uterine Artery Embolization: A procedure done to block the blood flow to the main uterine blood vessel. By limiting the blood flow the fibroid(s) shrink. This procedure is done by an interventional radiologist.
Myomectomy v Uterine Artery Embolization
|Treatment Options:||Myomectomy||Uterine Artery Embolization (UAE)|
|Uterus remains intact||Yes||Yes|
Multi-center study design: (done in the United Kingdom)
• Date of study: 2/2012 - 5/2015
• Number of participants: 254 women
• Age range of participants: 34-48 years
• Race & Ethnicity: Black, Mixed, Other, South Asian, White
• Those having a fibroid > 7 cm: 50%
• Those having 4 or more fibroids: 34%
• Study Groups: 127 women offered myomectomy, 127 women offered UAE
The primary goal: To compare the fibroid-related quality of life satisfaction of the groups 2 years after treatment. The women completed the Uterine Fibroid Symptom and Health Related Quality of Life Questionnaire (UFS-QOL) which asked about symptoms, concerns, activities, energy/mood, control, self-consciousness, and sexual function in determining a score.
While both groups reported improved quality of life 2 years after treatment, the myomectomy group reported a greater improvement compared to the UAE group.
Caveat: Fibroids can recur after myomectomy with reported recurrence rates as high as 57% at 60 months post-surgery.
You Might Also Enjoy...
.. a different approach!
For women only.. a sex survey.
We are all recovering from the impact of the Coronavirus. One thing that should be clear to us all, is that nothing else matters when one's health is on the line. If you are struggling with a GYN issue, don't let lack of funds keep you from getting help.
Now that you are working from home.. Should you schedule that GYN appointment while you have the time?
Abysmal health statistics. Ongoing health disparities. Time to do better.
The most common reason for hysterectomy is symptomatic fibroids. Given the prevalence of fibroids, more women are seeking alternatives to hysterectomy. The science is evolving. More options and becoming available. Before consenting, know your options